This incredible and museum-grade WWII 48 star U. ENSIGN flag was the main camp flag for infamous Camp Campbell.
This flag was flown during the training of not only some of the most famous WWII Armored and Infantry divisions of WWII, but it was the main U. Flag seen by General Erwin Rommel's Africa-Corps German P.
S captured during North Africa Operations (Operation Torch). Camp Campbell was also the training ground for the.
The location of Camp Campbell was and ideal training area for the U. Because the landscape mimicked that of the European theater and the mild weather allowed for year-round training. Camp Campbell officially opened on July 1, 1942 with one officer and a training staff of 19 men. The troop strength quickly grew and on September 15, 1942, following the activation of the 12th Armored Division at Camp Campbell, the base was operational. According to the Completion Report, the construction involved providing housing for 33,011 enlisted men, 1,736 officers, a 1,254 bed hospital, 116 company motor repair shops with arms rooms, 288,000 square feet of closed storage space in a warehouse area, 349,692 square feet of vehicle storage space, and approximately 397,000 square feet of hard standing.
Several training areas were located throughout Camp Campbell. To the south of the Airfield was an anti-air training area. To the west of the housing area were bayonet course and an obstacle course. Further west were ranges for sub-machine guns and to the north were other ranges for machine guns, pistols, and rifles.There were three tank ranges for the training of armored divisions. Home to Many Different Units. Camp Campbell was among the 29 installations where WAC (Women's Army Corps) members were stationed. The WAC received its first personnel in March 1943, when two officers and 17 enlisted women reported for duty.
They formed an administrative unit with the mission of establishing a motor pool and motor corps. German POWs arrived at Camp Campbell in 1943.Three POW stockades, each with a capacity of 1,000 people were built specifically for this purpose. During their confinement at Camp Campbell, the German POWs were engaged in a number of different tasks, primarily labor details. Some worked on beautification projects throughout post while others were contracted to help local farmers harvest their crops.
The last of the prisoners were transferred from the post in April 1946. During WWII, Camp Campbell was used to train and deploy troops to battlefields in Europe and elsewhere. The first combat troops arrived at Camp Campbell in September 1942 and joined the 12th Armored Division. It remained at Camp Campbell until September 1943, after which it departed for Camp Barkley, Texas.
The division was deployed overseas in the spring of 1944 where they battled German forces in France, Germany and Austria until the end of the war. Following the departure of the 12th Armored Division, the 26th Yankee (Infantry) Division moved into Camp Campbell for a short period. In March 1943, a second armored unit, the 20th Armored Division, was activated at Camp Campbell. Other units stationed and deployed from here included the 1580th Service Command Unit, a WAC unit and the 4th Armored Corps. Please note that the black and white training photo is digital photo for historical context.
This sale is only for the original WWII 1942 Camp Campbell flag.